5 Things that can Ruin Your Social Media Campaign – Part 2

ruin social media 2When it comes to social media, it is common knowledge that not pursuing your social media campaign actively or being unresponsive to users’ comments is a sure fire method to bring the whole campaign to a halt. Moreover, feedback from people on social networking sites have given a glimpse into a few more factors which can actually end up ruining your social media marketing. Here’s a list of five more things that can ruin your social media campaign.

Relentless Updates

While making scanty updates is bad, tweeting or putting up messages too frequently is equally harmful for your social media campaign. People who are already following you get put off with your endless tweets and updates (3x/hour) in their news feed that they decide to get rid of you for good. You may want to rethink the whole “engage continuously” approach, try it with some moderation so that your users get updates regularly but not in the manner of breaking news.

Two rules of thumb is Tweet 12-20x/day and update your FB 2x/day. If you are providing substantial information, you may want to lean towards updating less frequently whereas if you are providing motivation and inspiration, you can update more often. The most important factor is to learn your audience. What are you doing that evokes the most involvement? Do more of that.


Before you brush this off casually assuming you’re completely ethical in your ways, it is important to know what spamming could constitute as far as social media is concerned. Popular suggestions that may hint towards your product are harmless promotions. Offering discounts, coupons and flooding your users’ feed with sale offers in your tweets is essentially spam. Nobody likes spam. To stay away from things that can ruin your social media campaign, provide your following with useful information.

Lacking Authenticity

Who are you? Develop your voice as part of your social media strategy. Once you decide, stick with it. Keep your message consistent. Whatever you choose to communicate needs to be information that your following can benefit from. Allow that information to come from a place of transparency into your brand and what your company stands for.

Irrelevant Content

While social media marketing does not involve direct sales pitch all the time, your content should correspond reasonably with your product or brand. For instance, if your product is about herbal soap, try campaigning about the health benefits of the herbs which are included in your product.

80% of the time, you do not want to make a direct reference to your product. Simply provide useful information. The other 20% should be used to let your audience know that you happen to have a product that provides the very benefit that you previously educated them about.

Talking about popular topics without connecting them in some facet to you can ruin your social media campaign. Controversial topics should follow the same rules. In fact when done properly can generate user participation and lead traffic directly to you.


Several surveys have narrowed down the peak usage timings by audiences for various social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For instance Facebook generates maximum customer engagement on Tuesdays, Twitter between 5-8 a.m. and YouTube on Mondays. Time your updates and tweets to correspond with these timings so that you get maximum user engagement.

Make sure that you keep a close tab of the latest fads going around in social media so that you make the most out of it before it becomes a hopeless cliché. There is a lot more to successful social media marketing, but these points should help avoid ruining your social media campaign.

Get Social!



  1. I am actually thankful to the owner of this web page who has shared this
    enormous article at at this time.

  2. I think this is among the most vital information for me.

    And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is ideal,
    the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Leave a Reply to Mike Cancel reply